Tuesday 6 February 2007

Topics of interest: Embryology

Yes, one of my many topics of interest is that of our coming into existence. For those with a crude sense of humour, I am not referring to the act of bringing us into existence, but rather that, which results from that act. Further still, for those of you that suffer with a droll sense of humour, I am not referring to the 9 months of back breaking pregnancy that befalls the female, nor the 18 years of 'torture' that will ensue, for those who would consider parenting in such a light.

I will not bore those who do not share my interest in the subject by writing about it in gross detail. I need only say that it is quite involved and it is my opinion that embryology when first realised, gave the chance for many an idle scientist to create words with no derivation but that stemming from their ability to sound impressive and infinitely condescending. I am quite aware that there is more to each word than their ability to sound extraordinary. Many words in fact share their roots in Latin, which for those of you familiar with medical terminology (and perhaps a little Latin) will find to be no revelation. However, I myself suffer from the congenital defect of a sense of humour and cannot help but exhibit symptoms of it by ridiculing the profound ability of Biology to confuse matters by not only using unnecessary polysyllabic words, but a whole anthology of them dedicated to a single subject.

Please enjoy the amusing nature of the last sentence :)

Alright, so it is hypocrisy to mock something in a manner comparable to the subject being mocked, but I find that amusing. One could suggest from that that I find hypocrisy amusing and I suppose one would be correct in that assumption. However, it must be made clear that I do not find the act of hypocrisy itself amusing, but rather its ability to be used as a method of revealing the true absurdity of that which the hypocrite chooses to emulate, be that to the benefit of the hypocrite in asserting a point, or the detriment of his/her integrity (yes I do have room for equality of the genders).

I must say, I'm being quite defensive of my stance on such matters. I'd apologise for that, but I cannot falter a little caution and foresight into the disagreements of others that might arise should I not cover my arse. Feel free to disagree with that.

1 comment:

Francis said...

I think the term you're searching for is 'parody', Thomas :)


I understand entirely though - no need to be ashamed