Sunday 15 April 2007

Is intolerance the path to loneliness?

I was talking with my Dad about disputes in society and I have also spoken to Phil about it at some point, and I suddenly realised that I couldn't call Hitler wrong, unless, like Phil, I accept that there is an absolute truth and that good is not relative, but written into the very fabric of our being.

Alright, so I can call Hitler wrong, but only by my own beliefs. If I accept that killing people is bad, then I accept that Hitler was wrong to kill people (directly or indirectly). But to accept that killing people is wrong, one must appreciate that life is sacred and that it is indeed a sin to kill (Need I remind us of 'Thou shalt not kill'?). So by believing I am right, and that it is wrong to kill, I am to disagree with anyone who should think or do otherwise. I must be intolerant of anything that contradicts my belief.

So to have absolute confidence in your beliefs is to say that you are right and anyone with a view to the contrary is wrong. First point: Do you agree with that statement?

Thus assuming Hitler acted in the way that he thought was right, we can only say that he was wrong based on our difference in belief. Now right about here, some people might say, "Ahhh yes, but I am assuming the position that MY beliefs are right. Therefore Hitler was wrong, and that is indisputable". Fair enough. So lets do a little role reversal. Assume the role of Hitler, but do not assume his actions. You have acted in a way that has angered many people. To them you are a monster and you have done an evil thing. Because it is now you in that position, is it now right? In your eyes, yes. But in everyone else's eyes, no.

Now consider this: Is it possible to be identical in every opinion on every matter with another person? I'm going to assume that it is very unlikely. You would have to be born at exactly the same time, to the same family and experience the same things (that's where identical twins fails as a representation - that and one is usually left-handed and the other right-handed). So lets assume it is totally impossible to have identical opinions on every matter in your lifetime with someone else. Your view of right is unique. Second point: Do you agree with that statement?

If you are to assume that your view is the right one, and that everyone else's is wrong, and that your view is unique in all the world, then you are stating that before you, there was no one with the right view. That is not to say that there wasn't any 'right' because some views overlap. Curiously, that means that Jesus couldn't have the right opinion because his views might not have been the same. I can't pretend to have any evidence proving that your views are different, but if we keep to the assumption that your view is unique, then Jesus Christ had it wrong. So that is blasphemy. Third point: Do you think that's an extremely brash remark and if so, why so (do remember that it is based on an assumption)?

Let us now try to picture ourselves in the position of an intolerant person, who doesn't disagree with killing. The person assumes the stance that they are right and thus act accordingly, aiming to prevent anyone acting against their views. Assuming they act on what they think is right, they are right in their eyes. If they show absolute intolerance for anyone against them, they kill them. Let us assume that is a constant; disagree and die.

If their view is unique in all the world, then everyone will disagree with them on some matter, thus everyone, but them, will die. As such, that leaves them alone in the world. Everything they then do, assuming they do what they believe is right, is right. There is no evil in the world, according to their views. Fourth point: Is that the case assuming they act on what they think is right always?

This need not be as extreme as killing others, but if you ignore people who disagree, or show any negative emotions/actions to someone who disagrees, then are you not in effect always disagreeing with everyone on something? Now you think about it, it's obvious. Of course we disagree with others on something at some point. But let us refer to the title. Is intolerance the path to loneliness?

We must understand that our views are unique and will differ in some respects with others. We must not allow one difference to overshadow every other view that we share in common, for if we show absolute intolerance to any difference, then we are to confine ourselves to ourselves and thus be alone. If you believe being alone is right, then there's nothing stopping you being intolerant. But for what I'd like to think is most of us, absolute intolerance would result in an undesirable isolation.

Thus to a degree, we must tolerate difference if we wish to avoid being alone. You can find agreement in everything you say by combining all of the beliefs of your neighbours (not in the next door sense). Unless you are the proud owner of a completely unique belief, you will find someone who agrees with you in some way. Thus, you avoid loneliness by finding companionship in your fellow man (sounds very nice and kind of cool, but on a serious note, there's a lot of truth behind that). Fifth point: Do you agree with such a conclusion?

I believe there may be an argument that can show that absolute tolerance is a bad way to go too. I'd like to see someone else try and write about it :D

6 comments:

St-Paulo said...

I believe, when in reference to Hitler, you are confusing 'kill' and 'murder', they have different meanings.

Tom said...

Chambers 21st Dictionary defines murder as: the act of unlawfully and intentionally "killing" a person.

Here's a little German history for you...

"The ideology of the Führerprinzip sees each organization as a hierarchy of leaders, where every leader (Führer, in German) has absolute responsibility in his own area, demands absolute obedience from those below him and answers only to his superiors. The supreme leader, Adolf Hitler, answered to no one. Giorgio Agamben has argued that Hitler saw himself as an incarnation of auctoritas, and as the living law itself."

- Wiki

Hitler's morals render it impossible for him to commit murder in his eyes. He was the law, and so if his morals dictated the law, and he saw that his killings were morally correct, then they were lawful killings and thus not murder.

Speaking now with our established laws, he was a murderer. But the argument is that at the time, within his country, he was acting lawfully. It is only under the laws that were established post-Nazi Germany that we can call him a murderer.

I could simply have said murder is a specific form of killing and thus the use of 'killing' is all inclusive, but I felt I'd address your comment in the spirit of the post :)

Francis said...

Wow there's a lot to take in here Tom and I'm not sure I've got the brainpower to do it all at once!

I would like to make one little point that struck me though, although it may well be farily obvious. With reference to what you were saying about Jesus Christ being wrong - where logically your argument was perfectly fair - us cheeky Christians of course have a way around this. Similarly to the hierarchy in Nazi Germany (goodness me this is a dangerous comparison!), God is above all beings, in fact so far above he isn't really above. He's 'in a different league' to use pop-speak. Therefore, everything that is God and is from God is right, because he's God (!). Because Jesus Christ is both entirely God and entirely man (to the greatest extent that that is possible), he is entirely right.

Tom said...

Or so you believe...

There's a bit where I basically say "you believe it and you accept your belief as being as good as knowing. In fact you could go as far to say your belief IS knowing."

Phil has used a similar argument in discussions with me. As such, you arguably "know" that God exists and thus your argument is correct.

You've rather nicely given an example of what the post was identifying. In your eyes, with your knowledge of God, you are correct. In someone else's eyes, with an absence of God, you are wrong. That is not to say you are both right. That is to say you are right within your own minds alone.

Whether your "rightness" extends beyond your own personal opinion is a matter for huge debate.

Bravo Francis! :D

Phil' said...

Several points: in reference to your first comment, the 'unlawful' is a huge caveat on the definitions of murder.

I think we can draw an important practical principle from the law, here. A lot of the law deals with what is 'reasonable'; what a 'reasonable man' might do, expect, believe, &c. You might want to consider how much consensus can still be denied as only relative truth.

Another question of practicality: it's all very well to say that 'Hitler was only wrong in your judgment'. What does this lead to in practice? We couldn't have gone to war ethically on that statement. We might as well have bombed the Germans for speaking German if it was all cultural and relative. So, instead of what happened, the Holocaust et al would have continued. Because it's wrong for us to impose our beliefs....

In reference to Our Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Most High, the Word Incarnate, Prince of Peace, &c. you err understandably in confusing opinion and belief. I obviously cannot believe Christ to have erred, but not all of my opinions are beliefs. Thus the premise "before you, there was no one with the right view." is flawed in this regard.

As a conclusion, I'd not agree either that absolutism leads to isolation. I wouldn't, being an absolutist. I happen to believe that if we were all happy Christians, the world would be a lot better and there would be social harmony, integration, peace etc., at least in the majority of cases.

I hope that all makes sense and covers the points....

P

Francis said...

Tom - 'Or so you believe...'

Indeed. That was kind of the point I was making, clumsily. I accept that other people do not believe that and that it is my faith.

HOWEVER - this is where it gets sticky - my faith in God demands complete assurance. Therefore, I do not believe, I know. This is where religious faith can get very difficult; I am by nature a fairly reasonable person on such issues, so I accept that what I believe is only based on my opinion and I respect the views of others. Unfortunately, this creates a clash between my nature and my faith, leaving me simultaneously accepting that my faith is my personal belief and others do not have to agree but also knowing 100% that I'm right.

What a headache!